Friday, May 20, 2011

Digital outsells physical! (books)

Source

You can check out the post linked above (the Amazon anoucement), but basically sales of ebooks have exceeded sales of physical books.

On one hand I wonder what this does to the market, but really ... they are still getting sales and is it not cheaper to sell 'nothing' that includes no shipping or manufacturing? Not sure how that works.

Anyway, I once thought I would miss my book in my hand, turning the pages (sometimes getting that book smell as the pages turn) but I haven't missed it all that much. I do not even own a kindle, nook, or anything else like that. All I have is the kindle app on my phone - which I actually find better that the huge kindle or nook(not that I even know what that is like). My phone fits in my pocket. I used to carry a book in my pocket. ONE book. I now have... well too many, and at any moment can be reading them - so why wouldn't they sell more!

Maybe one could take this time to churn on a matter of the spiritual!  The physical book takes up space, the digital book takes up only digital space.... TV shows and movies have, many times, moved ones 'spirit' or 'mental self' from within the mind/body and into the digital world - the latest claim I heard (Stargate Universe) it was terabytes of information.  Maybe... Just maybe, Heaven is a giant server...  Ok... that got bad quick :)

Anyway...

What do you think about this change?

Bad for bookstores?

Will we see decline in physical bookstores or libraries, much like rental stores are disappearing?

(If I get requests for 'The Server of Heaven" Post... I guess I will do it)
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers