Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Compliments in the Chickfila play area (Blurb)


 
I am certain that if you have kids - consider yourself a Christian - and enjoy chicken ... then you have been to Chick-fil-a.  I say this because it is one of our families top picks for places to eat and not really have to worry about the kids.  We pick a table close to the play area and let the kids go wild.

One day that we decided to go there I did something different than I normally do.  I went in the play place and watched the kids.  I cannot remember if I was wearing Asher or not, but it is possible.  I also cannot remember my motivation for doing something different, I know that whatever it was I felt the need to be in the play area with the kids and hung out with them there.

There was an older woman that was at a table close to the play area that was carrying on a conversation, with I can only guess was one of her friends.  I would often look out through the glass to look for Melanie and see if the food was ready - and I remember catching her gaze and returning her smile .. nodding that nod that says 'yes, I see you and acknowledge you as a human being'. 

Her friend later left and she came to the door of the play area and motioned for me to come to her.  I was a bit worried that I had done something to offend her and was ready to be rep remanded in some way ( I am a worst case scenario person.. I am trying to quit ) As I got to her - she smiled bit and told me that she just wanted to thank me.  As I was already running through my head what in the world I could have done for her - she explained herself thus. "You see that man over there" she said - gesturing to what I (and she obviously) assumed to be the father of the other children in the play area and she said, " I always see parents in here and they just sit like that man.  I was glad to see you in here with your children - it made my day - and I wish more parents were like that.' Then she left.

I was awestruck... humbled to be certain.. but most of all I felt foolish, because if she had caught me on any other day that my family decided to go to Chick-fil-a she would have been pointing to me sitting at my chair and complementing some other wonderful parent that likely deserved it more than me. 

Remember .. I said I am a worst case scenario person, but I sometimes redeem myself.  In this I decided that the complement was fair - and as much as I did not do it enough to deserve praise.. that one time was enough for me to learn and likely have my future play area endeavors with my kids never be the same.  

God disciplines because He loves us - and sometimes he disciplines us with complements.. lol.  I am amazed by His workings and am glad to be daily growing closer to Him knowing that He is certainly working harder than me, for me.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~dErK~




2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how God works in our lives sometimes.

    I can't help but wonder why I think the way I do sometimes. As I mentioned in my own blog before I tend to think of worst case scenarios to adequately deal with my fears. Unlike most WCS thinkers though I'm not one that gets all nervous or whatever about it.

    I always knew I was strange lol. God just made me one of those people that thinks backwards from everyone else but I can say i wouldn't have it any other way. Being able to see the world differently from everyone else has it's advantages as well as it's joys.

    ReplyDelete

Leftovers