Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Short Study On Patience or A Boy On A Toilet (Blurb)




 


Elijah has a very unique way of using the restroom in the #2 style.  He does it .. in his birthday suit.  No one taught him this - and that I know of, no one I know does this.  It is his quirk and it can be quite annoying. 

Why annoying?  Because I need to go with him and wait on him.  No, really.. I HAVE to go... otherwise he will be later running out of the bathroom stark naked and likely dancing his way to our table.. like a boss.. check out this video of him dancing now.. lol 




I hope you enjoyed that.. and now back to my bathroom tale.. We at the possibility of  a boy running through.. wherever we were .. naked as a jay bird and not caring one wit about it.  To keep this from happening - I go with him.  I used to have to pull all his clothes off of him, but he has matured in this area.. now ripping his clothes off at speeds superman would likely be proud of.  This shredding of covering has to do with, according to him, the desire to not soil his clothing.  I have tried to explain him that throwing his clothing all over the restroom is probably worse, but.. he was three.. now four (his birthday is today 04/03) and knows better than me, I guess.. 

My boy ... is teaching me patience - and proper allocation of time. At first I would stand visibly annoyed at the length my son takes to #2 and would leave angered for the rest of the day, but a change has sparked in this area of my life. Now I see this as perfect time to check stuff out on my phone, sometimes to note down blog ideas (like this one, lol), or just to relax.   

As well the most important lesson I learned in this is whether in a hurry, or in the most calm mood I have ever been in - I know I need to see these moments as a time when I can be with my son - I can be .. almost .. a hero.  Albeit a hero that gets on his phone and reads a few things.. or writes a few things, but a hero.  Eli does not like to be watched while using the toilet anyway.. who does?

What Elijah does enjoy is me helping him get his clothes back on.  We talk during those times, and get to know one another.  The bathroom may not be the place I ever thought my relationship with my son could grow, but it has certainly happened. My attitude towards him directly affects(I hope is the grammatical correct one) the outcome greatly as to whether we are angry at one another, or lovingly learning from one another.

When you have situations where you think it would be best to just throw things and yell, take a step back and remember; you can either create a moment of growth - or destruction.. so decide which would be better for all involved!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





3 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! Having no children, it's hard to relate, but this story was hilarious. But your point is a good one. I mean, it's such a simple concept, but it's REALLY hard sometimes to do it.

    It reminds me of people in prison. They are told to "use" their time, meaning they should use to it grow, read, exercise, write, express their emotions, get a handle on their bad habits, and become better people. Not very many of these people do this and they are the ones that often go back, while the ones that do transform into the people they should have been and become functioning, productive members of society!

    I know it's quite a leap between having to stand in the bathroom while your kid poos and being in prison, but the idea it the some. Productive or Destructive.

    Good show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not really seeing too giant of a leap.. it really is the same concept.. something.. that if we could really grasp.. would make us all better people.

      Delete
  2. I agree. It is a difficult lesson for some of us to learn but when we do it's easier to make the most of our time. I know I have not mastered the art of using my time wisely but I'm happy to say I'm starting to desire to do things that I've always "known" I needed. It's just trying to separate enough of the "chaff" out of my life to have the time to do them. So far I'm making decent steps towards that goal.

    If we took the time to see how destructive our lifestyles are weather it be complacent, lackadaisical, or any other form of unhealthy living we could see the changes we need to make and make steps toward those changes.

    ReplyDelete

Leftovers