Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Phone, a battery, and Jesus walked into a bar... (Blurb)



Sometimes I charge my phone until the indicator light turns the wonderful little green color to tell me, "Derek, your phone is fully charged - you did well today with it - good job, your the most awesomest person I know!" and then I go to my vehicle, connecting it to the power cord there to jam to some tunes.  

As soon as the power cord enters the phone that reassuring green light is shining nice and strong, but not even a minute into playing some rocking smooth jazz electronic wondefulness of music... the light is a dreadful red.  Obviously the power needed to perform the tasks being asked of it is greater than the amount of power being received.  

This means that - at the rate of power consummation, even with my phone plugged in... it will probably die. Albeit that it will take MUCH MUCH longer than without it plugged in, but it will be dead all the same. I am sure that when it dies - it will begin to charge - and only charge.  The music will be gone, whatever action it was working will be dead until it can get enough good charge to begin it again.

This may not seem a significant thing, but I have learned (overtime) that my phone needs times when it is doing VERY MINIMAL 'work' and focusing on 'charging'.  This device, I found out yesterday from the History Channel on the show '101 Gadgets that changed the world", is the #1 Gadget that changed (or is changing) the world. I mean, why not, the smart phone has most of the other 100 and more!  

BUT IT DOES NOTHING WITHOUT POWER!!

I get like this myself sometimes.  

What is important here - is that we can do nothing without our 'rest'.  Physical as well as Spiritual.  If I am constantly on the move, and not getting good sleep - at some point, I am going to crash. 

Spiritually, if I am working hard for the kingdom - teaching others about Christ, week in and out - as well as getting tiny bits and pieces of God for myself through those teachings - I will be good for a short while, but I am exactly like that phone... doing just a bit too much work while being plugged in.  Soon I am going to be susceptible to a spiritual crash, which could affect the ministry I may have been working so hard with.

The Bad Thing: You usually cannot tell that you are suffering from this until it is too late. 

You can harp and harp about how you are 'getting enough', but is it QUALITY TIME?  It would be nice if I could tell you exactly 100% what quality time with God is for you, but the truth is... I cannot.  For one it may be one on one prayer time.  For another it may be getting deep into the Word of God, and another it may just be spent in praise - it could be ANYTHING. I encourage you to find what it is for you - what it is that YOU NEED in order to properly RECHARGE. 

The one thing I CAN say is that, once and a while, taking a step outside of the 'insanity' is a good thing. Take a walk around the block, take a longer shower, stand in the rain, just do a 'nothing' at some point. With that you can more effectively work hard when the grind time comes! 

Have a great day! 


_



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers