Friday, August 12, 2011

Review: The Way of Kings (Books) @BrandSanderson #fantasy


The Way of Kings
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



First and foremost - I have not read a book by Brandon Sanderson that was not completely and totally enjoyable!

I started with the Mistborn Series ('The Final Empire', 'The Well of Ascension', and 'The Hero of Ages') then to 'Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians'(which is certainly more a children's book.. and series than the others), Elantris, and Warbreaker. Everyone is wonderful - lush rich worlds, perfectly created communities that are vibrant and alive as I read them.

'The Way of Kings' follows suit - and contains characters that will likely be favorites of mine for a long time. Something that Sanderson has been able to do in every book, is create new and exciting characters that as I read, I always am wanting to know more about - while feeling that I have known them forever. Such detailed and rich prose - I am SO glad that I was introduced to his wonderful writing.

I have one non complaint complaint - and I feel that it must be titled as such because I do not care that he does this. Every book has the same basic structures. A good way to visualize it would be a bride. He has much of the same supporting structure in the creation of his writing.. his 'worlds', nations, characters - but the rest of the bridge can be so different and elaborate that you do not really notice it unless you take the special approach to notice. My need to let it be known that I am perfectly good with this 'problem' is just that ... for example I thoroughly enjoy playing Zelda games - even though they ALL have this same basic structure idea - or Final Fantasy. As long as the new story is fresh and good - I will love it!

The character growth and just the basic ideas that are dealt with in this book are wonderful - If you are thinking about getting it - go get it! You will enjoy it. If you worried that this is the first book in a series and you would rather wait until later novels are out - don't wait! Get it as soon as possible - this book DOES NOT LEAVE you high and dry at the end. Granted - at my completion of it I wanted more, but I was completely satisfied with the plot lines and the possible future plot lines that can come from the book's conclusion.

Some things I found noteworthy (There were more, but these I 'noted' as I read with my kindle app)

Quoting the character Hoid after he told the group a story, and asked what it meant.

"'The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon. Too often, we forget that.'"

I think that this is a GREAT way to see a story - as well when I ask questions of others I usually NEVER tell them what I mean by my question - no matter how cryptic it may seem. I want to know YOU and what YOU get from it - NOT what I TOLD you to tell ME. Great line in a book!

Kaladin's changes through the story were great - that character was just so wonderful - and I was so glad to see where he came from, and where he is going in the story!

A small note on that in a quote from the book - something that Kaladin's father said to him.

"'Somebody has to start,son. Somebody has to step forward and do what is right, because it is right. If nobody starts, then others cannot follow.'"

Such a GREAT piece of advice - looked at the world through the eyes of hate and malice, and deciding to return the favor - only add to what you saw and did not like - let us be encouraged and move to be world changers... by doing what is right, BECAUSE it is right!

A GREAT BEAUTIFUL BOOK - Thank You Brandon Sanderson for it!



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I keep telling people this is the best book you could possibly read and I can not wait for the rest of the series. Brandon Sanderson for me was just a guy who was finishing wheel of time till I read warbreaker. Now he is one of if not my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading Mistborn and Elantris I found out he was the guy finishing up WOT ... and from then on started reading WOT to get to when he is writing it. Again - cannot thank you enough for recommending him in the first place!

    ReplyDelete

Leftovers