Thursday, September 15, 2011

Poor Rich Folk - Multiple Albums (Music, Review) @


 
Facebook
 

 
I learned about Poor Rich Folk by downloading "The Flannelgraph Sessions"(which are no longer there) by Luke Brawner (The Lead Guitar and vocals of Poor Rich Folk) and getting an e-mail telling me about them... and that all of these wonderful albums would be free for a short time.  At the time I am actually writing this review they are no longer free... therefore my title above only states 'music' ... anyway - you can purchase them from band camp.. and I think you should!

In general A very fun and exciting sound!! Heavily acoustic!

At first I was reminded heavily of Caedmon's call - and then I realized that I was really being reminded of Derek Webb.  This music can be pretty deep like his - and then be silly as well.  

So ... the things that will likely make this music one of my new favorites

1. Beautiful Acoustic Guitar
2. Wonderful Vocals accompanied to that Guitar
3. Deep Spiritual Thoughts 
4. Shallow Simple thoughts that get deep without warning
5. Silly/Serious lyrics that grab attention and stick in the head

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Short For Demonstrations (3.99 on Bandcamp)


^^Widget^^ 
 
Stand Outs : 

"Nuts & Bolts" - On one hand this song seems totally carefree, but the other there is a rooted fear for the mistake made.  I really liked it for that - that instead of just looking at a mistake and just giving up because of it, it was turned in a witty way - to a song that may just get everyone to laughing about it sooner .. 

"Teach Me To Love" - I LOVE THIS SONG!!! Such a great outlook on the 'love' idea - on how God really sees it, and uses it properly ... that no matter your station, or 'greatness' we all need a lesson in how to really 'love' properly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love Is A Bullet (9.99 on Bandcamp)



^^Widget Above^^ 
 
A little more upbeat - almost felt like it had a bit more Latino spice to the music

Actually a few songs on this album are on the album above, but not acoustic setting... what happens to me when this happens... I usually like the acoustic 3000 times better ... I would say that it is pretty close to how it happens with these guys... probably 2000 times better is the acoustic... :) 

Stand Outs:

"For You To Save Me" - 'I just want to love you, because I love you - not because I have to ... for you to save me' - great line... great ideal... great understanding of 'RELATIONSHIP' !  If you can get to this point... your good - problem disappear in that love.  Not that you no longer have those problems - you just do not focus on them like you used to!

"Long Gone" - This is one of the Silly/Serious ones ... loved the line "You should know me better after so long than to try to fix things with another stupid song" almost ironic to say that in a song - lol.  Again, such carefree but ... serious business being dealt with.

"Jimmy & Lois" - kind of like Big Tent Revival's song "Two sets of Jone's' but .. not really at all like it.  The way the song goes it sounds like it, but the song is all about love.. all about finding love in another, quite wonderful!

"You Do Nothing For Me" - you may think this is a song that deals with complaining about someone's neglect, but you would be incorrect... because that statement ends with "That I Don't Need" .. . I know I have been in the complaining seat before and been slapped in the forehead with this statement.. that instead of being so upset about what I 'think' I should have... remember that in the hand that I am in.. I have exactly what I need!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No More Than A Window (9.99 on Bandcamp)



^^Widget Above^^ 
 
Stand Outs: 

"Grace" - I really like the guitar solos... the tiny ones right after the singing kind of pauses - really cool sounding!  "Why am I begging for what you gave me?" God really did already give us the grace needed to cover our sins... we beg for it anyway.. why? - we want to be a part of what washes our sins away, but God already has it offered - we just need to accept it and open it!

"Change The View" - really cool song about .. our wages from sin... and just an awesome way of looking at our sinner's earnings ... and how God deals with it. 'Musically Visual' showing just hints of the pain that God goes through for us...

"I Am A Man" and "I Do"- also very 'musically visual' - I really like these - just so easy to see a glimpse of what the song is... seeing Christ .... understanding the difficulty of dealing with things - realizing those things in us that are at war... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Suffering Wealthy (Digital Single - 0.89 on Bandcamp)


^^Widget Above^^ 
 
What is your sin? - what is bringing you down? .. Could it be the thing that you actually see as your strength? ... Pinpointed to the wealthy, but I would quickly move to examine myself... is what I think my strength... the thing I have the most of - am the best at... it is for the Kingdom? or not - or am I using it to get what I want... "what I deserve"?

Cool song - nice and shallow/deep - 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers