Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Peep Show (Blurb)



I wanted to Embed this clip, but Warner brothers does not allow it.. 

Check it out here though


yeah.. I mean the peep show that Buddy the elf was excited about.. seeing your Christmas presents before Christmas.

In younger years it was something that I had to be really crafty and ninja like in order to do without getting into some trouble.  I HAD to know what I was going to get. 

I remember sneaking down in the middle of the night before Christmas with my brothers and taking a look around, even though we could only see a few presents because most of them were wrapped.  We got better at this though. 

We learned where the hiding places were for mom to put the bought presents that were not wrapped .. the trouble there was, once we saw them we were never 100% sure as to which present was for which one of us (relevance for a moment.. I have two younger brothers.. now you are caught up)

This problem that we ran into needed a solution and being the helpfully well organized (and sometimes forgetful... hmm maybe that is why I ...)  person that she is, my mother solved our problem .. likely without ever knowing it.  

Mom made lists.. with our names at the top of a page and the things that she bought.. or was planning to buy for us in a little notepad (I think she knows that we all knew this.. but .. maybe not) every year was a scavenger hunt to find one thing before Christmas.. no longer the presents themselves.. but the list that had ALL INFORMATION!! 

I felt like a spy.. a spy that ended up not enjoying Christmas as much as he used to.  I thought that it was about the presents.. about the gift I was getting that gave me joy on Christmas morning, but I realized after years of top notch spy work.. it was about the surprise! 

My kids are going to learn this.. likely with mistakes much like mine.  I believe their spy skills are very much up to par.. maybe even beyond my own ... Kyley likely has 'encouraged' Asher to tear into a few that are under the tree now, but I don't blame her.. we want to know.. time teaches us the truth about Christmas.  

Now being older .. and with children of my own I understand the beauty of being surprised even more.  It is hard to do this to me as well, so I know that I ruin things for the loved ones around me.  But my wife has me this year.  She got my number.  She pegged me.  

I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT SHE GOT ME!!!!!!!

She has told EVERYONE what it is and they ALL say that I will LOVE it and that it is the perfect gift for me.  Because of this tiny fact.. I am already a kid again for this Christmas.  

I think that this lesson I have learned is very likely the reason that we know very little about Heaven and Hell. I am sure if we truly understood, either one of them, it would be just as (well certainly more) soul crushing as seeing that you are getting exactly what you have always wanted.. but not being able to touch it til Christmas.  You cannot sneak it out of the paper and go play with it (my brother tried this.. got caught and.. I am sure regrets the decision even now.. it cost him being able to fully enjoy Metroid Prime...) also in this analogy ... it would be suicide.

I am glad that I get to be surprised at Christmas and as well, even more so, I am overjoyed that Christ has a gift for me that is not only eternal life (this one is VERY likely the better), but the secrets that await in Heaven! 

Have you ever snuck a peep at your presents before Christmas?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~dErK~




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers