Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review: The Child Thief


The Child Thief
The Child Thief by Brom

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Inspired by reading between the lines of the original version of Peter Pan, Brom, has created his own world.. his own Peter.. and it is a very interesting read. (Just reading the explanation as to why he wrote this finally got me into gear to read Peter Pan - as well as this)

First off I must throw out the warning.. yes, this is Peter Pan, but do not be deceived by Disney and all other children's clean telling of these stories. This version is taking those to some of the darkest places it could go. There is strong language and very vivid scenes of death and gore.

I was very irritated with the attitudes of many of the characters, but after finishing the book I realize that it was likely the intention of the author. The dynamic between the natural habitants of Avalon and those that were trapped there was irritating, but as well it was enlightening of the fact that we all seem to 'create' our enemies than the other way around.

In my review of the original Peter Pan I talked about Peter's failures as a hero because of his unwillingness to grow up. To be honest.. if this world that Brom created is anywhere close to what was happening behind the pages of what we have enjoyed for years as a children's story.. I must multiply my statement.

Peter has a much more troubled roll in this version, and it gives some very good and likely explanations for his attitudes. I think that much of what was 'taught' in the original is held in this version. Growing up is something that is crucial because we must begin to understand the consequences of our actions. That everything we do affects someone else - as well as the fact that working through our problems is much more beneficial to everyone than fighting .. in any way, shape, or form.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers