Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review: "Firstborn" by Brandon Sanderson (Book)


Firstborn
Firstborn by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I usually do not really get into short stories. Many times they feel as it they could only have been better with a few more details, but as well I have read some that just lacked any sort of hook to get me to even read it all.

Sanderson... ,ever since I read the Mistborn novels, has always been able to grab my attention. I started this and was immediacy understanding of the plight this younger son was having in his field as well as with his father. It may be because it was reminiscence of the relationship of two brothers and a king in "The Way of Kings" but even so the story gripped me. I did not expect big things to happen in this 'new' world, but they did - and after getting there it was not a huge surprise - it is Sanderson's way.

I liked how he showed the errors of Ego and Pride without humility - as well as showed the mirrored version of Humility and defeat without Pride. There are problems with each extreme. He fleshed his characters well, although I think I would have enjoyed some more on each of them as well just some more body of book, but alas ... it is a short story.

This is one of the first Sci Fi stories I have read by Sanderson and I have to say I enjoyed the way he told it.. I really could envision the battles and the way they go about them. Certainly a good turn from fantasy for a moment - and I was glad Sanderson took me there for that short while.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers