Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Link to Hearts and Hiding (Blurb)

 
I am a person who enjoys video games. Much like I enjoy a good book, I very much enjoy the stories a game can tell, and as well I find the challenge of puzzles in the games to be entertaining as well. Probably the game best at combining these two things is those within the 'The Legend of Zelda' series.

I first played the original at the home of my aunt when I was much younger and found I could not do ANYTHING in the game... I ended playing something else instead. This changed by the time my brothers and I acquired a N64 and began playing 'The Ocarina of Time'. From that moment on I got my hands on each game which came out on any device I had the pleasure of owning. I was able to introduce the series, properly, to both my daughter and son by my playing 'Skyward Sword' on the Wii. It was not a surprise Elijah took a great liking to the game and played his own save when I let him.

One day... actually this happened the very same day as what I wrote in THIS (http://derkopenedeyes.blogspot.com/2012/05/getting-hit-in-chest-blurb.html) post ... so.. yeah.. this was an interesting day. On the same day after I was with Kyley I came back into the house to find Eli on the Wii and playing Zelda. This was not odd, but what was odd was the statement my son continued to say as he was playing. I could tell he was worried and very serious about his statement. What was he saying... well.. "Daddy, I am getting your hearts back!"

*Cute* I thought.. without understanding his true meaning

As I got the controller from him and backed out of what I thought was his save I found the true answer... my save... was GONE! For those that may have played Skyward Sword I had gained the first piece of the triforce and was working my way for the other two... basically .. I was at the end of the game.

Elijah KNEW he made a mistake. He could have hid and tried to not gain my attention, but instead he moved right on to trying to fix the problem he created. I could have been very angry at him for having delete it, but for two reasons I was not. Granted it was a devastating loss, but for one I knew it was only an accident - he knew not what he was doing, and for the second - his determination and zeal for righting his wrong was admirable so due to this my reaction to him was love and mercy.

I have yet to get back on the game since then. I planned to beat it and let my friends play and beat it. I did not get to do the first, but my friends have had their wack and it .. and as well some have finished.. and others... are still trudging along.. slower than the Israelites in the desert after whining about grasshoppers in their grapes. (this is beside the point, but I found it humorous)

Most of the time our reaction to a mistake is to move directly to hiding. Hiding the mistake, hiding the guilt, hiding the thought, the feelings, everything about it we feel needs to be hidden in a deep dark sack, hopefully bottomless.

The problem we find eventually is our sack was quite bottomless due to the fact as we look back and still see our past behind us, within our trail showing all around us we are flawed in some way. Still we will deny and hide it from others and in this action we deceive ourselves. The more and more we shove it aside, the more and more it gains a hidden power. It is our fears guiding us then, they choose for us what is good and what is forbidden. This is the truth of sin.. It is an enchantment upon us we cannot see or feel, we just are what it shapes us to be.

Even my son in the noble and valiant deed of trying to right his wrong he was driven by the mistake. God is a wonderful God. He comes to those in hiding and after what has shamed us is out in the light He offers atonement. There may be consequences still, in some fashion, but there is and always will be forgiveness in grace.

Are you one desperate to give your heart to God by uncovering what you feel must be hidden or would you rather hide and always be the lost save?
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers