Tuesday, March 5, 2013

SHARK ATTACK - Part 2!! (Blurb)

 
 Check out Part 1 where I talk about an 'actual' shark attack HERE : http://derkopenedeyes.blogspot.com/2013/02/shark-attack-part-1-blurb.html

While the last post had to do with sharks, even though it was only a kiddie sing-a-long version of one, this post actually has to do with the picture used and the only shark attacking this time is the one made out of plaster looking to be about to swallow my two oldest kiddos.

I guess in a way you could say in this story my boy was like a shark attack because of his attitude, but I am getting ahead of myself. 

We as a family were blessed with the chance to relax in Pigeon Forge, Tenn for a Children's ministers retreat. During our time there we had a good few adventures. This one involved both my oldest as well as my feelings of parental shame and victory.

Elijah decided to be mean to his sister in some way or maybe they were being mean to each other. I honestly cannot remember what happened, but I do remember his reaction. All I wanted from him was an apology to his sister, but all he gave was a total meltdown. To spare the child future embarrassment I will just state I felt very ashamed in the store for myself as a parent dealing with him.

I decided to try a mercy move instead of an abrasive anger move I many times just slide into. I asked Elijah to just hold her hand.  He was not going to do it...no way. I explained to him the pros and the cons very clearly based on his choice and he decided to continue as he was.

I was at a loss as to what I could do. I honestly did not want to bring on him the negative consequence I had described, but I would if I had to. Kyley decided to step forth and try it herself. This did not work at first but eventually something changed and he ended up taking hold of her hand.(keep in mind here Kyley does not enjoy this just as much as he does not, especially when they are angry.)

The deal was they had to hold hands the entire time we were in the store. At first they did not like this, but as time moved on they were easily working together to move and look at things they were interested in without any ill between them whatsoever.

I was so happy I picked a prize for each of them. The picture says it all. They held one another's hands, showing love and forgiveness and holding their prizes high!

How often are you fighting the simple requests of God in your life?
 
 
 
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers