Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Seeing what is right in front of you (Blurb, Video)


There are times ... there are MANY times that I am clueless - I could not tell you what I am clueless about right now... because... I am clueless about it, but I CAN let you know about something I WAS clueless about.

The gas indicator in my vehicle. Ever since I have been able to drive I have always looked at the car I have and memorized which side of the vehicle the gas tank access panel is on. While driving up to a gas station I have to stop and go over those memorizations in my mind so that I can properly pull to the side of the pump. There have been MANY times that I have pulled in incorrectly.

This usually puts me into the position of either driving around again or pulling the pump over the car, looking like an idiot.

I am not the best at memorizing verbatim, but usually I can give you a pretty good idea of what was seen, heard, or read - just not EXACT. The trouble with the gas tank access panel was that ... there really was NO MEMORIZATION REQUIRED. My wife taught me this...


Photobucket




It seems that if I had only opened up my eyes and looked at what was in front of me. I would have seen what you can see in the picture above. As stated I did not even learn about this on my own, but from my awesome wife.

Odd thing is - Theology is like this ... You try hard to learn all the difficult idiosyncrasies that the world has to offer for faith.  Interestingly if you choose ONE of them (one 'faith', not idio..) there are plenty things to learn in JUST that one... The call for unity is GREAT in the following of Christ, but often it is not apparent in the church body itself.  These divisions can be greatly confusing!  You may just look like an idiot trying to figure them all out!

It just so happens that this past Sunday we sort of talked about this with the Lakewood Kids - if this did not fit so perfectly - ah - never mind. Here is the video of Doe Doe talking to the kids about "Wrestling With The Devil".





An odd thing about faith - is that it is usually the simple solution that is needed.  i.e. A small boy, a stone, and a sling... four friends tearing a hole in a roof... "Peace... Be Calm"... A Still Small voice... (Granted ... some of it IS complicated.. no matter how you look at it, but many times doing something simple no matter how insane sounding ... gets the job done) 

But ... with faith - you can either choose to be confused all the time about everything - or trust in Christ, put Him in your "special place" -- Things WILL fall into place when you do this - Christ is your 'gas indicator' ... as cheesy as that is.

(Interested in what is going on with Lakewood Kids? - follow them on twitter, facebook, or blogger!)

1 comment:

  1. When I got my new truck I probably pulled in to the wrong side of the pump for at least a month before realizing that it wasn't on the side that I was used to.

    In the same respect I think it would be easy to grow spiritually complacent. When God gives us a new vehicle (spiritually speaking) it's easy to ignore the obvious and just start driving but when we start to run out of gas our problems become apparent.

    We have no idea how to fill up but all along that still small voice we were too busy to listen to was staring us in the face. If we would only open our ears or in this case our eyes and see what is there all along then we wouldn't be as apt to stumble.

    Not all cars tell you blatantly that this is the side you put gas in but they all tell you. That little nozzle always points to the correct side.

    So if we train ourselves to hear God's voice he doesn't have to yell at us to get our attention and at the same time we are more able to follow his plan because we're not so concentrated on our own idea of what his plan is for our lives we will know when and how to 'fill up'.

    ReplyDelete

Leftovers