Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Annoying Singing Toys That Create Parent Failure (Blurb)

 
This actually happened a good while back, but the lesson still holds strong within me... and I still fail in it as well.  I was either reading a book or my phone at the time, but Elijah had a mind to play with his singamagig.. right beside me.. right in my ear.  Not only was in right in my ear, but he really wanted me to be a part of it so he kept bumping me with the toy as well. I am certain that you can imagine that this is an annoying thing to deal with.  

My reaction to it for a good few minutes was to rip the toy from his hands and throw it across the room.  This started the floodgates from his precious eyes.. and the wailing of a child's broken heart.  I was Immediately heart broken as well. My foolish desire to do as I want just caused this painful emotion in my son. I knew it was my fault and I thought for a moment what I could do to 'fix' it.  

I got up and picked up the toy from where I threw it and brought it to Elijah.  I squeezed it and made a silly face.. Elijah took it and squeezed it and we played together for about thirty minutes.  It was good - it was enjoyable, but it also was a HUGE failure.

I could take this and tell you that I did the good thing by turning around and getting over myself (and yes that is good .. and is the best route .. AFTER the mistake) but I pray hard that I will not have to 'FIX' something just because I was foolish for an instant. 

I do not like that my motivation for doing the right thing was my son being upset - and I cannot say that this was the only time that something like this has occurred.  I want my children to enjoy their time with me, even when I am 'doing my own thing' .. I want to be accepting of their interruptions.  

I am often told of how fast the time will go by, and I am doing everything I can to remember this - and give my kids a great memory of me in their past.  I trust in Christ and ask Him to be sure to keep me on track, and to have the extreme capacity of love that I know is needed to do it right!  I pray the same for you.. mother, father, brother, sister.. any connection.. we can do it better, we can love better.. and without fail! 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers