Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Being on Time vs. Rushing to get There (Blurb)

When I am late - I can be a pretty terrible person - how about you? 

The prime example would be leaving for work in the morning.  

Sometimes even five minutes early can feel late to me, but anyway - when I believe myself to be behind in the morning - I go into Flash mode.  Well... not 100% flash mode because.. well.. I am slow going and will forget things - as well lose my cool much faster.  I may get clothes, but leave a bunch on the floor - or grab something for lunch and leave the fridge in disarray.  The worst thing I will do before leaving the house is get on to my wife.  She may ask me to take the dumpster to the front, or maybe just my pants are in the dryer.  I will be belligerent and terrible to her because of it.. essentially blaming any lateness I may have to her instead of myself.   

As you may have noticed, I do not do well under the pressure of 'time'.  I like my freedom, and 'free time' can give me what I need to properly function.  There was one morning this was very clear to me (and it usually is in these cases)

Mel had breakfast ready.. and it pulled and urged me from bed much earlier than I usually get up ... after that ... traffic lights... trains... didn't mean much... I cannot help but know I am a better person - a calmer and happier person when I am much earlier to the place I need to be.  All the world is right and everything that normally would send me insane with anger means nothing when I am early.  

This verse came to today in my readings .. 


Let's not add troubles to today by rushing to each and everything we need to do.  Pray with me and let us begin to work towards making the extra effort to be early for things from now on.  I am certain it will make us more pleasant to be around!


 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






2 comments:

  1. Very good. I struggle with this too. I'm the guy that always has to be on time, and being on time means being 15-30 minutes early, and if we are running late, I'm a jerk to put up with. My wife hates it. I don't really like hearing myself nag and prod either. I like myself way better when I'm not in a rush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too get irritated when I'm running late. I've noticed this about myself and I try to give myself ample time to get places that I have to be but more often than not if it's in the morning I'll be running late. I also have to admit that even when I'm not running late things tend to bother me such as sitting in traffic not moving for whatever reason or people going too slow but nowhere close to when I'm actually running late. In fact I can ignore a whole lot when I don't have to be in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete

Leftovers