Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Kids... and the Secrets of Magic (Blurb)

 
I do magic trick. I enjoy doing magic tricks. I enjoy the enjoyment magic tricks can bring to the face of almost anyone. The best and worst at reacting to magic is kids. Also what I have found to be an entertaining activity is teaching kids how to DO magic.

Of all of the kids I have taught magic tricks to there are two of them who stand out from all the others. One of them is my daughter Kyley and the other is her cousin (my niece) Lily. They both have a passion for it, right at this time Lily's is stronger than Kyley's but then again it may be because Kyley has been able to actually perform it in from of others - check out these videos of Dee Dee performing some magic tricks for object lessons at Lakewood Kids!



I am lucky enough to have a friend who was able to get tickets to magic show soon, so I will be able to bring both of these girls with me to see the show. We are all pretty excited about our future adventure. (This show is actually tonight!)

When a child is watching a magic trick they can 'see' the mystery in such a way most anyone else cannot. This is wonderful for them as they are watching and enjoying, but once they decide to learn this causes a problem. The best case and point I have is actually not a child but a young adult  my wife and I have had the pleasure of helping 'nurture' as she has grown. I showed her a pretty simple trick and then showed her the secret second coin which actually made the trick work. She was not at all understanding of this, but was astounded at the revelation of a second coin. She wanted to know what dimensional bending device I used to create a second coin was.

Amazement can go far for people like this, but most anyone else understands the trick as soon as you begin to bring down the 'walls' or 'mirrors' of deception. Kids do not understand this. They still see the magic as my friend above does. They find the revelation of the second coin to be as amazing as whatever you did with the original at first.

I was teaching my daughter the cups and balls, because it is important to have a decent cups and balls routine no matter what magic you do, and she found the secret to this trick to be amazing and wished to show it at the end of her routine to amaze all watching. I explained to her the secret of the trick needs to stay a secret. If you reveal too much at the end then you just may give away everything you worked for. Without the mystery... the trick becomes a memory to lose. Doe Doe puts it this way:

"Magic creates mystery, and where there is mystery it sticks to our minds. To have something stuck in your mind in this way, it is the hope I have you will also have the lesson along with it stuck as well!"

I found it even more humorous when showing Lily how one of her new magic tricks worked she did the very same thing Kyley wanted to before. Mind you it was two different tricks and two different secrets but they both saw them amazing enough, in their minds, it was a much better finale!

We all, as we have grown older, have lost this. Some may lose it sooner, yet we all seem to lose it. A mystery may still yet lay within the trick but we KNOW there is just some secret we are unaware of.. Just a tiny glimpse or wrong mentioned word gives it away. In this fashion we lose the ability to 'properly' enjoy it.

The same, I believe, occurs with God. As we enter His house for the first time and Fall into His grace not even for one second understanding His ways we are ready to do all and everything for Him. The trouble come the more 'comfortable' we become with Him. One may think this would create a relationship more like the 'A' list biblical folks, but instead as I have seen we can become more cynical and  non accepting of His manifest presence.

I know this due to the very fact I suffer from it I am not hypothetically creating a prose this could or may happen, but rather a truth has most certainly occurred. Am I close to God, yes... Am I much more cynical and harder to please when it comes to God, yes... Why is this? I am not totally sure.

I guard myself greatly as if to not be tricked by man... Or by any other spiritual principality which may wish to sway me. But I am certain this is much like that of the man who wishes to not 'look a fool' during a magic trick and has to, at the very least, appear to always understand how it is done.

I pray for a more open mind to that of God within me and as well any reader can accept Christ as He comes to them, ready and willing to move forward in obedience to His voice!
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leftovers