Monday, June 11, 2012

Matthias - Cover Me, I'm Going In (Free Music, Review) @MatthewSCoker @noisetrade


^^Widget Above^^

For Fans of :  Chris Tomlin, DC Talk, Jazz




18 Song Album (All Covers)

Overall Thoughts:

Mostly it was mixed together quite well. (I understand that this cannot be easy to get these to mesh together perfectly)

The instrumentation are a tiny bit loud at times .. and I think takes away from the vocals a few times but not often enough to really notice much at all..  

The truth is.. they are covers.. if they sounded EXACTLY like the originals.. why not just listen to the originals.. having the slightly different sound.. gives them a bit of a new feel.. and I think Matthias has done himself good here.. putting many of the songs that he loves and enjoys together and as well.. I think that he has pretty good vocals.. and gets into each of these genres quite well.. maybe not an expert on any, but certainly a 'jack of all'.

Recording Thoughts:

Pretty Good ... Semi-Professional

Individual Song Thoughts:
(Rating Scale 1 to 5 - 1 being least - 5 being greatest)

"It Was A Dark And Stormy Night" 3 - (I Have Never Heard This Song) - Pretty cool sound.. I may have to listen a few more times to understand the message.. 

"Getting Into You" 4 - (I HAVE Heard This Song) - Actually.. Matthias did a pretty good job with this.. while he may not have the same vocals as Matthew Thiessen, he certainly does a decent job of it  .. this is one of my favorites from Relient K.. and this is actually a good cover of it. 

"You Found Me" 2 - (I Have Never Heard This Song) - This one really suffered from the music being louder than the vocals.. or losing the vocals in the music .. 

"Breathing" 3 - (I Have Never Heard This Song) - More of a country feel.. I actually think he could have a really great country voice.. with some practice.. but I think his vocals are a bit more used to rock.. and pop.. good song though.. flowed nicely..

"Beauty From Pain" 2 - (I HAVE Heard This Song) - not one of my favorites from the album.. I think it was just missing some of the passion I thought I was remembering from this song... either that or the transition from normally hearing a female vocalist in this song and instead hearing a male vocalist.. the female vocals near the end did seem to fit more with the music.. so it may have been the latter. 

"Missing Person" 4 - (I HAVE Heard This Song) - Pretty good job in this one.. I found it to be pretty close to the original .. very cool

"City On Our Knees" 2 - (I HAVE Heard This Song) - This one actually ending up sounding too odd for me... I guess I just could not get past the fact it was not toby mac.. though.. the more flowing musical parts (with singing) sounded fine.. it was the more robust vocal parts that turned me off.. 

"Sleeping Awake" 2 - (I Have Never Heard This Song) - This one seems to have the opposite .. the vocals seem to be too over the music...and the rock hard, close to screamo vocals.. is certainly not his 'bread and butter"

"Somebody Sold Me" 4 - (I think I have but I am not sure) - I very much like the beat here.. I think this may be one of the best mixed.. still a bit off (tiny bit loud).. but really.. one of the best. 

"Move" 4 - (I Have Never Heard This Song) - ok.. so he can rap to a point.. when the screamo type is less singing and more actually yelling.. and passion.. he sounds great doing it.. I actually liked this one quite a lot.. (sorry for doubting the ability earlier)

"Monster" 4 - (I HAVE Heard This Song) - I was worried this one would not be able to be held up to well to the original.. I really enjoy Skillet.. but honestly.. this is not too bad.. yes.. true.. not as good as Skillet.. but.. really vocals are good.. and the fact that the instruments are done in house .. it really makes it is own thing. (did you do all the music on these.. or were some backing tracks like I was thinking.. beginning to wonder)

"Corinthians" 3 - (I HAVE Heard This Song) - Awesome.. covering a 'Christian parody' of a song.. although .. to be honest.. this is one of the best of ApologetiX.. in my 'humble opinion' .. and this one.. is mixed.. well.. about as good as the parody.. ha.. lol ..  

"Fireflies" 5 - (I HAVE Heard This Song) - Now.. I do not think that I have not made this clear.. but .. I do not really listen to Owl City.. but .. you cannot stay away from this song.. I prefer 'An Epic, No Less'.. but .. this is good.. and really shows how far an auto-tune can go (I assume that is what is used here. ..or some kind of voice synthesizer).. not that you cannot tell it not Adam Young.. but this is one very well mixed song.. some oddities are around 3:30 and on (wink), but ultimately.. good

"Consume Me" 3 - (I HAVE Heard This Song) - If I had picked a DC Talk song.. it would probably have been "What if I stumble" .. but I did like this one as well.. ah.. what am I kidding I enjoyed everything of theirs.. This suffers a bit  from the mix over taking the vocals.. although.. not too bad.. and ultimately sounds pretty good. 

"I Need You To Love Me" 5 - (I HAVE Heard This Song) - The Female vocals are SPOT ON! wow... impressive .. If I did not know differently I would have thought it was the head singer from Barlow Girl.. again.. wow (although.. it was pretty loud..as a whole)

"Hallelujah" 5 - (I HAVE Heard This Song) - another one.. really, really well done.. this is the kind of music .. and a few others that I believe that Matthias excels at.  Great Stuff!! 

"When God Ran" 5 - (I Have Never Heard This Song) - This was really good.. everything sounded very together.. vocals.. music.. all sounding great together .. 

"(It's A Secret To Everybody)"  5 - (I Have Never Heard This Song.. no one has...) - Secret Song.. well.. I would harp on you about digital files and such.. but I know the intention of this is on a cd.. so.. yeah.. "I think it was on the track listing" .. lol .. "and umm.. it's stupid" .. ha.. the song actually sounds pretty cool.. very catchy beat 

take a listen ... get a download.. and DON'T TIP (His Words.. not mine :) !!! 

@MatthewSCoker on twitter 


Noisetrade
http://noisetrade.com/matthias
Facebook
4Shared (looks like all of his music downloadable for free)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. And thanks for the honesty. I did take a few risks. And I'll be honest... on You Found Me and Sleeping Awake... those gave me the most trouble. I did over a dozen mixes on each and had to settle to meet the deadline (and keep my sanity). But this review comfirmed where my wheelhouse is. Thanks again. Christmas album comes in December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand.. there are plenty of times where I have had to just 'let go' and move on with my 'project' .. glad to have helped.. and really enjoyed reviewing the album!

      Delete

Leftovers