Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Quantum Leap and The Human Fail (Blurb)




http://www.hulu.com/watch/98180/quantum-leap-jimmy-oct-14-1964

"Jimmy" S2E8 has GOT to be the most interesting, deep, and thought provoking episode of Quantum Leap I have ever seen! Click here if you cannot get the widget above to work! (Honestly ... if or when you get the time you should watch this episode. You may understand a bit better what I talk about below)

Many of the episodes deal with this type of problem, (some kind of discrimination) but I really felt moved by that episode. It was so interesting to see Sam doubting himself after being treated the way he was. An interesting perspective indeed.

Dr. Sam Beckett taught me a whole lot when I was a kid. I cannot say that all of these came directly from this show, but it was instrumental in my upbringing. After watching a good few episodes recently I am understanding that. In the way that Al will try to get Sam to do something he probably shouldn't and even with that encouragement towards the obvious WRONG choice; Sam (pretty much) would make the better choice that was usually what was needed to actually get the leap to happen.

I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to have your ONLY helper give such insane and nonthoughtout advice. Granted MANY times Al is instrumental in the task that Sam needs to accomplish and without him (Al); Sam probably would have gone totally insane.

So Point numero uno:

Judging skin deep.

It is so easy to judge in this way, and I would venture to say that this is the most common form of judgment (maybe even, the only kind - you get deeper - you get truth). In Quantum Leap this got a lot of folks into hot water quickly because even though they saw a weak woman\blind man\stupid retard Sam still had his strength\sight\smarts - and usually used it in haste in these situations.

The really interesting thing is that these people that he leaped into likely had these things as well (sort of), but are they failures just because they needed Sam to leap into them to fix their lives? Really depends on your outlook I guess.

The same is just as likely in those around you. When you see someone and judge skin deep - you NEVER know that person as well as you could. The real danger is that you are likely causing this person to actually believe whatever judgement you have branded into them. Just as was occurring to Sam in the episode mentioned above.

And Point numero dos:

Freedom of choice

If I was swapped with good old Sam and all the best life changing decisions "I" made were actually made by him, I would have a hard time dealing with my 'new life'. On the other hand "I" have died to my flesh ... to myself. When I did, I put on a new self by the blood of Christ.

God has taken my human failures and guided them to the works I do for Him. Without Christ I am just another person that made/makes mistakes. I have given Christ/God/The Holy Spirit the permission to "leap" into my life and guide my decisions. This ... I am glad of - and will boast in.

2 Corinthians 11:30 AMP

If I must boast, I will boast of the things that [show] my
infirmity [of the things by which I am made weak and contemptible in the eyes of my
opponents].

It is 'easy' to skate through life saying that you have no problems/errs/mistakes. But the beauty of Quantum Leap is that Sam can leap into your life and forcibly make the choices that you need to actually make in whatever situation your in.

God is NOT like this. (Unless you ask, odd concept - not entirely understandable, but I believe true)

Look at your problems. Look at your failures as a human. Look at what you want to desperately hide in the deepest and darkest closet of your life.

Do you have them in your minds eye?

God wants these things! God wants to take them and use them to encourage another so that they can make it to the next step!

Psalm 119:105 AMP

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.


John 7:24
Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

(Judging by appearance I will now refer to as Quantum Judgement
_



Photobucket

1 comment:

Leftovers